1. Consciousness is the being.
2. Knowledge the fetters.
3. The yoni divisions are the body of time.
4. The matrikas are the seat of knowledge.
5. Endeavour is Bhairava.
6. In the union of the circle of the Shaktis is the dissolution of the universe.
7. The fourth enjoys and is contained in the states of waking, dreaming and deep sleeping.
8. Knowledge is the waking state.
9. False imagining is the dream state.
10. Want of awareness is Maya, deep sleep.
11. The triad eaten by a Lord Hero.
12. Surprise-wonderment is the place of yoga.
13. Iccha Shakti is Uma, the Virgin.
14. All things the body.
15. When the collective-observation-shock is in the heart, dream vision disappears.
16. From being aware of the pure essence comes the shakti of non-duality.
17. Deliberation-pondering is being-wisdom.
18. World bliss is samadhi happiness.
19. In the abode of Shakti is creation of the body.
20. The collective abode of the elements is the universe,
the elements separately are the shocks.
21. From the appearance of pure knowledge come
the many Shaktis of the lord of the circle (of the Shaktis).
22. By concentrating on the transcendent lake of female energy, mantra life is obtained.
1. Consciousness the mantra.
2. Endeavour the method.
3. The science-body-being the secret of mantra.
4. In the womb state of consciousness expansion the inferior science of the dream state.
5. In the arising of vidya, spontaneously, one may move in the void, like Shiva.
6. By means of the guru.
7. Awakened knowledge is the circle of the letters of the alphabet.
8. The body is the sacrifical ladle.
9. Knowledge is the food.
10. From the heap of knowledge arising from seeing in the dream state.
1. The being is consciousness.
2. Knowledge the fetters.
3. From the kalas, the thing called in non discrimination, Maya.
4. In the body the dissolution of the kalas.
5. The nadi dissolution is the victory over the elements,
freedom from the elements, separation of the elements.
6. Siddhi from the appearance of delusion.
7. The victory over delusion is the victory of spontaneous knowledge,
which is of endless extent.
8. From the waking state, the world is a ray.
9. The essence is the dancer.
10. The inner essence is the theatre stage.
11. The sense organs are the audience.
12. Insight from will is the pure siddhi.
13. Accomplishment means transformation into independence.
14. As there, so elsewhere.
15. Attention is the bija.
16. Asana is the happiness of immersion in Shakti.
17. One's own measure is the measure suitable for measuring, giving guidance.
18. Imperishable knowledge means destruction of births.
19. In the Ka-series are Maheshvari and so forth, the beast-mothers.
20. Pour the fourth in the three like oil diffusing in water.
21. One should enter, immersed, by one's own consciousness.
22. Equally the practice of breath produces a similar sight.
23. In the centre, emanating the lower.
24. In the measure of one's own trust in the abode is this prevented again from appearing.
25. One knows equality with Shiva.
26. The existence of the body becomes a religious vow.
27. Conversation is mantra recitation.
28. The act of offering is being-wisdom.
29. Whosoever is in this state is the means of knowledge.
30. The universe becomes an aggregate of his Shaktis.
31. Both maintenance and dissolution.
32. Though subject to the cyclic law, one is not excluded from self experience.
33. Happiness and sadness become external.
34. Set free from that, one is complete.
35. The being of action is a heap of delusion.
36. Sundering the internal stream proceeding from action.
37. The creative Shakti from one's own spirit-perception-feeling.
38. The primordial animating one with three parts.
39. Observation remaining, the body creates action externally.
40. From wanting external actions arises the collective being.
41. When really reaching that, through its destruction, the embodied being is destroyed.
42. When the element-sheaths are released,
at that time one becomes supreme and equal to the lord.
43. The inherent union of breath.
44. What is meant by restraint in the centre of the brow?
The left and right in the central channel.
45. Again and again comes all encompassing awareness.
We let follow here another translation:
I bow down to Lord Shiva
The One who is self-luminous,
delighting in his own being.
And now the beginning of the Shiva Sutra.
Consciousness is the Atman, the Soul.
Knowledge is Bondage.
The Body is the union of Raman, Nature and Raman, the Ego, the Doer.
The Spiritual Endeavour is Raman.
One who applies his total energy, For him the world exists no more.
Knowing Wakefulness, Dreaming and Deep Sleep each separately,Turya, The Fourth State is attained.
Constancy of Knowledge is the Waking State.
Choosing is the Dreaming State.
Unconsciousness and Lack of Self-Awareness create the Illusion of Deep Sleep.
He, who is aware of all three is the Supreme Hero.
A Sense of Wonder is the Foundation of Yoga.
To be established in Oneself is Strength.
A Transcendental Logic is a Means to Self-Realization.
To Enjoy the Blissfulness of Existence is Enlightenment.
The Mind is the Mantra
Effort is the Seeker
The Guru is the Means
The Body is the Offering
Knowledge is Food
When Knowledge is destroyed, the Dream is seen.
The Soul is the Mind
Lacking Discrimination of what is Essential is Illusion
The Yogi caught in Attachments may attain Powers but not Self-Knowledge
After Conquering Attachments permanently, Spontaneous Wisdom is attained.
The Awakened Yogi Realizes that the whole Universe is an emanation of his own Energy.
The Soul is a Dancer
The Inner Soul is the Stage
Through Control of the Mind, Reality is attained,
and Freedom flows out from that Attainment.
And because of this Sense of Freedom,
he freely moves within and without.
Meditation is the Seed.
Just Sitting, relaxed with Himself,
He enters spontaneously into the Lake of Supreme Being.
He attains to Self-Creation or becomes 'Twice-Born'
Eternal Knowledge leads to Cessation of Birth and Death.
The Fourth State should serve as oil
to permeate the first three states.
So bathed, he enters into the State of Self-Awareness.
He who experiences the Divine Energy pervading everything,
Views all things as equal,
And he attains to Shivahood.
Whatever he utters is Japa.
Self-Knowledge itself is his Gift.
He is the Master of the inner Powers And the Source of Knowledge.
The Constant Enjoyment of Self-Energies his His Universe.
Life and Death are under his Will.
Happiness and Sorrow are but external Moods -
This he knows constantly.
Freed from these he achieves his Aloneness.
The Yogi who is established in his aloneness ceases to desire,
And thus attains freedom from Birth and Death.
The liberated person,
for whom Body and Mind are no more then clothing,
Attains to Shivahood.
This is dedicated to Lord Shiva.
Osho has spoken on the Shiva Sutras
between 11 and 20 September 1974 in 10 beautiful discourses.
He spoke in the Hindi language.
The translation into english has never been published so far.
The sutras that he has commented upon are from the second version, with 10 chapters.